- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced into 1/4" rings
- 1 medium Italian eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups rice milk
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- 1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- 1 1/2 yellow onions
- 8 ounces Banza Chickpea Elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup crumbled Dairy-Free Cheddar Ka-Pop! Chips
1. In a large oven safe pan, sauté 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions over medium heat. Caramelize for 10-12 minutes and then transfer to a bowl.
2. Place eggplant in the pan and brown for about 2 minutes on each side. Then add water and lower heat. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes until eggplant is soft and water is absorbed.
3. Start preparing pasta according to package directions and strain.
4. In a food processor or high speed blender, add the cooked eggplant, rice milk, nutritional yeast, paprika, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder and mustard powder. Blend until creamy and smooth.Season to taste with 1-3 teaspoons additional apple cider vinegar or a dash to 1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder.
5. Set oven rack on the second to top rack and preheat oven on high broil.
6. Pour the eggplant sauce into the sauté pan and cook for about 5 minutes to thicken. Once sauce is bubbling, lower heat to simmer until it is to the consistency you like. Add noodles. ** If you are using a pan that isn't oven safe, grease a casserole pan then add noodle mixture.
7. Top with crumbled Dairy-Free Cheddar Ka-Pop! Chips and brush top with remaining olive oil. Broil for about 1-2 minutes until light brown and toasted. Be sure to turn on the oven light and watch closely as it can brown quickly and you don't want to burn it!
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!